Wednesday 4 May 2016

Future


My yesterday, my today, and my future

 
When I was young, I used to wonder how my future would be...
 
Behind my childhood home, there was this secret hiding place among the tall rubber trees. Everyday, I would bring food, lie down in the hammock, look up the big blue sky, and day dream for a long long time...
 
I asked the cloud...I asked the wind...I asked my future self...
 
Which man would fall in love with in the future? Is he going to be handsome? Tall? Funny? Romantic? Are his hands warm and assertive? Are his kisses tantalising?
 
How many kids would I have? How my son or daughter would look like?
 
What job would I do? Doctor? Scientist? Writer?
 
Which countries would I want to travel to? What people would I meet?
 
The future seemed so far, so uncertain, so mysterious, and so full of possibilities.
 
Suddenly I realised, 30 years have passed...I am now in my future.
 
Here I am, my future self, writing to the little me.
 
Dear little me,
 
You would have a husband, a lovely and funny one. Small eyes, tall, always likes to tell jokes, but never laughed at the jokes you tell. One who would write you poems, and give you romantic surprises when you least expect it. One who loves to sleep so much, that you sometimes feel like you want to kick his butts so hard that he fall from the bed. And one who is always the anchor when you are lost, showing you the direction, reassuring you that everything will be ok.
 
You would have two beautiful kids. So beautiful that every night you go to bed thanking God for the perfect gifts that He give.
 
The older son has big beautiful eyes, long lashes, rosy cheeks, beautiful smiles. He would tell you how beautiful you are even when you haven't brush your teeth and your hair looks as if it hasn't been washed for 10 days. Every night before bed, he would tell you how much he loves you, and that he is sorry for every little mistakes he have done.
 
The baby is a cheeky, loud, and opinionated one. He would make sure you know what he wants, and make sure he gets what he wants. His lung capacity is so good that when he cries, the neighbours would come running asking what happened. But when he smiles and laughs, it is so bright so warm and so cute, he'd melt you heart in an instant.
 
You are now a housewife, a full time mother, a driver, a teacher, a chef, a small business owner. You hair is forever messy, face forever oily, wearing the same T shirt with baby food spills a whole day, hardly have time for toilet break. Nothing that you imagined yourself would be. But that's exactly what so exciting about future. You can never know what fate would bring you. So you go with the flow of fate, and try to live each day the best that you can. Your little dreams can wait, but your kids are only kids once. Being able to see them grow healthily each day, that's the biggest blessing.
 
30 years passed like it was only 30 days. I can still see the little me lying in the hammock thinking far...  
 
Dear the little me, your future is here, and it's not that scary, it's not that far.
 
I just want you to know that everything is going to be fine.
 
Stay strong, stay focus, be happy, be free, live each day as if that's your last day on earth, and you will be just fine.  
 



 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment