Saturday 14 January 2012

Becoming a Father

What really changes when I become a father?

Everything does, instantly. It is such an extraordinary event, truly life-changing moments.

When I was about to become a father for the first time, other men who’ve already blazed that trail are keen to share their experiences and then there are those who give me that funny look – a peculiar expression which seems to say “Congrats, you will have sleepless nights and panda eyes, Good Luck!”

Cedric is 6 days old. I am so blessed to have him into my world. The first 24hrs on the first day back home wasn't easy. Mummy only had about 4-5 hours of sleep, barely had enough rest and I can notice the sudden change of lifestyle is not easy to cope. Mummy was quite depressed because Cedric kept on crying every hour and had no idea what caused it.

I am sad to see Mummy's exhausted condition, maybe she has hit the 'baby blues' and become weepy most the time. The next night I volunteered to become 'night supervisor' so that Mummy can have a good rest. It was only me and Cedric at the living room and becoming a baby-sitter is not an easy task.

I have a crying baby and I go through all of the obvious things on my mental checklist. Is Cedric hungry? Is it nappy wet? Is it wind? By now I totally understand Mummy's feeling and realized it’s going to take patience and persistence to overcome the 'stress'
The biggest surprises were the obvious things - the lack of sleep and the sheer exhaustion, plus all the crying.
Although Cedric may make my days shorter, my nights longer, my bankroll smaller, he’ll also make my home happier and my life far more fulfilling.

Cedric Boy
D.O.B: 09/01/2012
Time: 00:12
Weight: 3.35kg
Height: 48cm

2 comments:

  1. congratulation.. didnot know this blog also will be written by the papa.. good to be involve.. and now most important listen to your wife and give all your support..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations to the both of you. All the best embarking parenthood. =)

    ReplyDelete