Tuesday 18 October 2011

Glucose ++ In Urine During Pregnancy?

In 2 consecutive antenatal checkups, I was tested positive for glucose in my urine.

 It was 1+ when I was 22 week pregnant, then it increased to ++ when I was in week 27. And glucose in urine is one of the indicators of gestational diabetes

According to my gynae, Dr.Siti from SDMC, it is not uncommon for pregnant ladies to develop this temporary type of pregnancy diabetes. Though it is usually not life threatening to both the BB and mother, and the condition generally resolves once the baby is born; but diabetic mummies tend to have bigger babies and higher chance of birth complications. So to make sure, she ordered an OGTT (Oral Glucose Tolerance Test) to check for diabetes.

So how is OGTT performed? 

To do the test, I started fasting from 10:30pm on Friday night. On Saturday morning, when I arrived at SDMC with an empty stomach, my first urine and blood sample were taken at around 10:30am. 


Then the lab technician gave me a super duper sweeet drink, that after drinking it, I felt like there are 10 butterflies trying to break free from my stomach through my throat...But the lab tech warned that I have to try not to vomit, or else we will have to do the test all over again. So to distract me from my uncomfortable feeling of queasiness, hubby brought me to have a quick shopping at the nearby Carrefour, while waiting for my 2nd urine and blood sample to be drawn at around 12:30pm.

What does the test result mean?

I had 2 anxious days awaiting the OGTT result on Monday. So I did some homework and surfed the net for some clues on how to read the result. In general, the chart below from Lab Test Online shows how to interpret the result:-



The goods news is, despite having glucose traces in my urine, I passed the OGTT and I am not diabetic. What a relief...as I always pray for a healthy body so that I can provide the best growing environment for my BB.

The bad news is, both Dr.Siti and hubby want me to control my sugar intake from now on...to Dr.Siti, that means eating in moderation; but to hubby, that means NO sugar, NO ribena, NO chocolate, and the list goes on...OMG...how my coming days going to be like without my beloved sweets...!?

No comments:

Post a Comment